BEEBE – It’s safe to say the lives of 45 members of two Arkansas churches have been changed forever following a mission trip to a small and largely forgotten part of Nebraska.
Terrytown, Neb., is located on the western border of the state known for its expansive corn and wheat fields. It is a village located on the bank of the North Platte River between the cities of Scottsbluff and Gering. While Scottsbluff and Gering have grown together to form the seventh largest urban area in Nebraska, the small village of Terrytown is a place where many residents live in desperation and despair.
LITTLE ROCK – Energy was high as more than 1,500 students and youth leaders converged on Immanuel Baptist Church, Little Rock, Aug. 8-9 for the 2014 Arkansas Baptist State Convention (ABSC) Youth Evangelism Conference (YEC).
YEC is an annual youth conference in which Arkansas Baptist churches from across the state come together to worship, hear speakers, fellowship and learn how to share their faith. Youth leaders received training from Michael Wood, lead pastor of First Baptist Church, West Monroe, La., and one of the event’s speakers, on how to equip students to share the gospel in their local communities and beyond.
LITTLE ROCK – “We cannot afford to play solo during this time.”
That was the word Aug. 12 from Ronnie Floyd, pastor of Cross Church in northwest Arkansas and newly elected president of the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC), to the Arkansas Baptist State Convention (ABSC) Executive Board, staff and guests.
Here's what you missed in the 8/21 edition of the Arkansas Baptist News if you aren't a subscriber:
- ABSC approves 2015 budget, welcomes Floyd
- 1,500 worship, learn at YEC
- Trip to Nebraska 'opens eyes' to those in need
- Floyd addresses ABSC Executive Board Aug. 12
- Harper to lead missions team
- Mt. Bethel holds 'old-school' revival
- Arkansas pastor shares Christ at Sturgis rally
- ABN Digest: After teen's death Mo. Baptists pray, serve
- ABN Digest: Golden Gate announces new campus purchase
- Pressing On: Its easy to criticize, harder to praise
- Editorial cartoon by Gary Thomas (Exclusive to the ABN)
- Church Issues: The fervor of the Israel/Palestinian conflict
- Family Matters: Backyard gospel
- President's Perspective: Too blessed to be depressed
- Financial Times: Greedy of not?
- Dixie materials mailed
- ABSC offers autism workshop Sept. 13
- Senior Adult Prayer Gathering Oct. 9-10
- Prepare/Enrich date set
- Churches serve together
- Bonus Content: Ferguson cleanup organized by church planters
- Bonus Content: Midwestern College Dean calls Church to stand for justice