VILONIA – “The ‘Church’ is not a building,” is a message Matt Rothacher, pastor of The Valley, Vilonia, and Arkansas Baptist State Convention church planter, reiterates to his church on a regular basis. But the phrase recently gained a new meaning to the congregation.
On April 27, a tornado that was a half-mile wide tore through central Arkansas, killing 16 people. In the early morning commotion, Rothacher awoke to the voice of a church member, the local fire chief, telling him the church’s facility had been caught in the storm’s path.
FOUR ACTS 1:8 One Day Community Mission Trips were conducted in Arkansas communities April 26 – involving hundreds Arkansas Baptists and resulting in 29 salvation decisions.
Mission outreach events of various types were held in Greene County Baptist Association, Mississippi County Baptist Association, Tri-County Baptist Association and Little River Baptist Association, said Breck Freeman, interim team leader of the Arkansas Baptist State Convention (ABSC) mission team.
MAYNARD – About 270 people attended Passion in the Park – a block party held on Easter Sunday by Witt’s Chapel Baptist Church, Maynard. It was a sizeable turnout considering the town only has a population of about 400.
The event, true to its name, took place in a park.
Here's what you missed in the 5-15-14 edition of the Arkansas Baptist News if you aren't a subscriber:
- Baptists repsond following twister
- Thousands respond during Master'Singers tour
- Page applauds Supreme Court decision on prayer
- Connect 2014 reaches communities
- ABN Digest: Nigeria aid needed as attacks escalate
- ABN Digest: Explore the Bible now for children, students
- ABN Digest: GuideStone Funds helps church members
- Editorial cartoon by Gary Thomas (Exclusive to the ABN)
- Baptists Ask: Why are there so many Christian denominations?
- Uncovered Dish: Finish Well
- Answering the Call: A tornado changes things
- Across Arkansas
- Mother of the Year: Hooks demonstrates love, commitment to family
- ABN Father of Year contest
- Bonus Content: Nigerian Christians find hope amid persecution
- Bonus Content: Boko Haram offer of girls' release may be ploy