CAMDEN – Arkansas Baptist disaster relief volunteers were among the first nongovernment responders in the aftermath of tornadolike winds that swept through the Camden area April 3-4.
According to published reports, more than 55,000 Arkansans – many of whom were in Camden and Ouachita County – were left without power following the rash of storms that hit the southern part of the state.
THE YEAR was 1979.
The Pittsburgh Pirates won the World Series. The cost of a first-class postage stamp was 15 cents, and a loaf of bread was 40 cents. McDonald’s sold its first $1 Happy Meal, and the Sony Walkman was introduced to the world for $200.
1979 also marked the year David Perry joined the staff of the Arkansas Baptist Childcare and Family Services, now known as the Arkansas Baptist Children’s Homes and Family Ministries (ABCHomes). Perry, ABCHomes executive director, celebrated his 35th anniversary with the agency April 1. He’s the longest-tenured staff member employed with ABCHomes.
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – The Missouri Court of Appeals has denied a bid by the Missouri Baptist Convention (MBC) requesting a jury trial to determine the legal ownership of one of its breakaway entities, the Windermere Baptist Conference Center.
Windermere is among five MBC entities – including The Baptist Home, Word&Way newspaper, the Missouri Baptist Foundation and Missouri Baptist University – that changed their governing documents to allow each to elect its own trustees in 2000 and 2001. The convention filed a lawsuit in Cole County Circuit Court against the five on Aug. 13, 2002, in an attempt to regain control of them.
- DR teams aid Camden victims
- Camp gives missions experience
- Moore returns to Africa, sees God still at work
- David Perry marks 35 years at ABCHomes
- Steps to involving students in missions
- Mo. Baptists lose Windermere appeal
- ABN Digest: Golden Gate Seminary sells campus, to move
- ABN Digest: Liberty, Benny Hinn: ‘no partnership’
- ABN Digest: La. College president apologizes to La. exec.
- Editorial cartoon by Gary Thomas (Exclusive to the ABN)
- Church Issues: Should we be concerned about Hollywood’s opinion?
- Baptists Ask: When I read Proverbs 26:4-5, I get confused. Should I or shouldn’t I answer a fool?
- Uncovered Dish: Bring on the laughter
- Answering the Call: Becoming the ‘go-to’ church
- OBU, Camp Siloam mourn loss of Shelby Seabaugh
- ‘Spirit of the Lord’ drives team in Haiti
- Across Arkansas
- ABSC page
- Bonus Content: ‘Holy desperation’ in Ukraine, Gott says
- Bonus Content: Masters winner Watson ‘incredibly blessed’