Holly Springs Baptist Church and Holly Springs United Methodist Church sponsored the Terry “Taco” Howard Memorial Trail Ride and ATV Ride April 4. More than 100 people took part in the ride. Along with the ride, a barbecue meal and an auction drew more participants. In addition, a soup and chili meal took place the evening before the ride. All proceeds went to Arkansas Children’s Hospital. Holly Springs United Methodist also donates proceeds from a yard sale to the hospital. Since 2011, the churches have raised more than $40,000 for the hospital. Tristan Chelette (right) with his mother, Julie Amerson, took part in the trail ride. Tristan has been a patient at Arkansas Children’s Hospital for 12 years. Photos courtesty of Julie Amerson.
BELLA VISTA - Bill Bowen was recognized April 20 at Village Baptist Church in Bella Vista in honor of his 15th anniversary as pastor. About 170 people attended the celebration. Among those present were Bowen’s wife, Jo Ann, and their children and grandchildren. Also present were Don Moore, former executive director of the Arkansas Baptist State Convention, and his wife, Nita; two former secretaries, and several former members of the church. Bowen and his wife were given a weekend in Chicago.
GREEN FOREST - Marvin Emmons retired April 30 as pastor of First Baptist Church, Green Forest, where he has served as pastor since 2002. Royce Sweatman is serving as interim.
DEWITT - First Baptist Church, DeWitt, ordained Brad Hearn, Jim Craig and Bradley Hargrove as deacons April 26.
PERRYVILLE – Thornburg Baptist Church in Perryville celebrated its 100th anniversary April 26. Jimmy Corder delivered the anniversary message in the morning service, which was attended by 127 people. A celebration service was held in the afternoon following a potluck dinner. Gary Hawkins delivered the celebration message.
Thornburg Baptist Church, formerly known as the Missionary Baptist Church of Jesus Christ, was organized in 1915.
Records for the church were lost or destroyed by fire on more than one occasion. But the church’s history lives on through remaining records and the memories of those involved.
The first services were held in a wooden two-story building used for community activities. The church used the first floor. The building was badly damaged during a storm in 1921 and was rebuilt as a one-story structure. Rock veneer was installed. The land it was on was sold to the church in 1944. In the early 1960s, the rock building was torn down, and a concrete block building was erected. The church building did not have water until 1980 when a well was drilled on the church property. City water came to Thornburg in 1994. In the mid-1990s, the building was remodeled. It was renovated in 2013, and the church has plans for future expansion.
The strength of the church has been its commitment to missions. The church is involved in camps, revivals, vacation Bible school and financial support of many things.
There have been 31 former pastors and two interims. Tom Stover has been the pastor of the church since December 2007.